"Baking Bread with Children is sure to nourish body, mind, and spirit, awakening our innate capacity to live life fully and expressively." —Edward Espe Brown
Baking bread in our Playgroup and Kindergarten classes is an activity thoroughly enjoyed by both parents and children during the Autumn and Winter months.
The teacher brings the dough to the table and the dough is divided, a portion for each child.
Rigorously kneading the dough, some children discover that their hands are too sticky and they need more flour.
The organic play-dough now gets transformed into many wonderful things; a dragon, snake, frog, pizza, baby, bird in a nest. The ideas are abundant. Each creation is carefully placed on the baking sheet to grow before it is then baked, filling the classroom with its wonderful aroma.
2 Cups Wholemeal Plain Flour
2 1/3 Cups Bio-Dynamic White Flour
3 Teaspoons Yeast
2 Teaspoons Salt
400ml Warm Water
- Place dry ingredients into a bowl, add water & mix into a dough
- Turn out onto the beanch and knead for 10 minutes
- Place the kneaded dough into a floured bowl and leave to rise. This will take about 40 minutes and should double in size
- Remove the dough and punch down
- Divide dough (or keep whole to make one Loaf)
- Once moulded into shapes leave them to rise on the baking tray for a further 15 minutes
- Place into the oven and bake on 200°C for 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly and enjoy with honey & butter!